The reversible raincoat or how I learned to stop worrying and love antimetabole

Posted 8 years ago by Adam Gautsch

The reversible raincoat is the nickname speechwriters have given to the rhetorical device in which words are repeated in transposed order, as with Churchill's famous line: "Let us preach what we practice—let us practice what we preach." The fancy Greek name for the trick is antimetabole.

It's very popular in this years election cycle.

On a related note, my least favorite business cliche is "working hard or hardly working?"

1 Comments

dave ~ 8 years ago

I blame 80% of work related cliche's on Mike Judge and Ron Livingston. The other 20% I blame on Family Guy. The point here? Work related cliches almost always end up in someone getting punched in the oh-noes.

For reservations, call office(800) 890-1702. Send fan mail to our work location at 101 N Main Street, Third Floor, Greenville, SC 29601 USA 34.850823 -82.398746
Lovingly crafted by orangecoat with some rights reserved, and a promise not to spam you.

Back to top